Will our 4 week old chicks stay out of the rain?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gale65, Jun 23, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our babies are in the pen for the first time today. They have always been in the coop so they're used to it so they are just going out for a few minutes and then running like mad back into the coop. But while they are going in and out, it is sprinkling off and on. If it starts raining will they stay in? I know that after a while, as they get more used to being outside, they will go out for more than a minute or two at a time.

2. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Gale65,
    I had four RIRs that would stay out in the rain all the time and get soaked. I thought, gee they must be dumber than I thought... well, I think they enjoyed it, maybe? I say that because now I have 3 BRs and 3 BOs and all of them make a mad dash for the coop when the rain starts! I was so surprised! Just when you think you've figured them out, not.[​IMG]

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    It started raining here yesterday. Came home to find that 3 of the 8 week old girls were inside the coop, "yelling" for the other 3 to come in out of the rain. LOL I eventually shooed them into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by