will our hens ever lay?

clairerenee

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Our hens are almost 6 months old and they don't seem at all interested in laying. We try putting them close to their nest boxes and they just look at us kind of confused. any advice?

Your RIRs should be laying anytime now. You may be waiting awhile longer on the Americaunas. Are they true americaunas or easter eggers?

Do you have them on layer feed now?

I'm beginning to think that hens laying eggs is an Urban Legend and this website is an evil minded ploy to keep the tale going!!!

Where are my eggs!!!!!!
sad.png

Yes, they will lay!! I promise. Soon! My banties started laying a few eggs a week, ohhh, couple weeks ago, at age 20 weeks. My black astralorps have now laid several this week, 23 girls and I have 11 eggs since Sunday!
wee.gif
they will be 21weeks old tomorrow. Get set, get ready, they're gonna lay.
celebrate.gif

My RIRs are exactly 29 weeks old today and haven't started laying yet. I also have a Leghorn that is 32 weeks old and hasn't started laying either.

TALK ABOUT DEPRESSING!!

It must be the time of the year, though. ALL of my hens have been on strike for about 4-6 weeks now. I am just starting to get eggs again this week. Only one of the 6 Leghorns is laying, my EE is laying again, and then my other EE (also 32 weeks) and my Wyandotte (also 32 weeks) just started laying their first eggs a couple of days ago.

I always read about hens that start laying at 16-20 weeks... is this for real?? Because all of mine are A LOT older than that when they start! And I let them free-range, feed them laying pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, etc.

Back
Top Bottom