Will Our Pekins Come Back?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Sep 11, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I know this is partially my fault, but we had 2 Pekin ducks that came with our property. We didn't know this right away, but we eventually figured it out from a neighbor.

Apparently, the previous owners raised the ducks from babies and let them go in the pond, where they've been for a few years as a couple (1 male 1 female). We also have Rouen(sp) ducks, and there are about 8 of them left. One got knocked off by a preditor awhile ago. My husband starting clearing out the pond shortly after that... it was way to over grown on our property. Then I noticed I hadn't seen the Pekins in awhile?

I don't know if they've ever left before (the house was vacant for 1 1/2 years before we bought it.). The neighbors said they've never noticed them leaving... they've been pretty self sufficent and all over the years.

I'm just wondering if they'd come back? Would it be a good idea to get more next spring? I've really been thinking about more ducks... its quite a site to watch them in the yard and in the pond each day. If they do come back, and I don't know how they would react to new ducklings hanging around their area?!

Anyways, I just need some ideas on how to convince hubby. He's still upgrading the chicken coop and would hate to have to create duck housing next! [​IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Not a big duck expert but my guess is a predator got them.

1. Pekins can't fly so I doubt they walked off.

2. They would definately stay were they were raised.

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hmm... well even if they don't fly, there are 3 other ponds on the street we live off of. Is there a chance they would have waddled a 1/4 mile up the road? Now I'm WAY concerned... they were so pretty, and really made my day when they were out in the cove with the Herons in the morning.

I'm going to go talk with my neighbor directly next to me... maybe they've seen something recently.

4. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, I guess I have to assume the ducks are dead and gone.

Maybe I could get some eggs to eggs to hatch or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by