Will our pet door idea work with Cochins?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Balboaroc, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Balboaroc

Balboaroc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Carroll County, MD
    We are in the middle of coop contruction and to make a secure door we can shut nightly for the chickens my husband installed an 8" pet door to get the chickens in and out of the run.

This is our first time having chickens and 2 of our chickens our Buff Cochins. All of the chickens we have picked out are not tiny breeds and all will range in the 6.5-8 lb range. I didn't realize just how big the Cochins will get though. The book I just saw stated they get to be about 9-11ish lb for hens. Will to cochins fit through this door? My others are listed in my signature. I knew cochins were big birds when I picked them out I just thought they ranged in the 8lb range.

I figure if they won't all won't be completely lost maybe I can find someone locally that would be willing to do a pullet exchange or something.

Thanks.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that the door will be a bit small for them.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    . . . and remember you will want room for those magnificent foot feathers! [​IMG]

Even my biggest bantam cochin lady cuts quite a swathe as she breezes through in her puffy silver gown. You may wish to make the door bigger. Good luck! Cochins are just lovely creatures.

4. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    My Friend lives in lives in Elkton, don't know how far that is from you.
    Do you have chicks or adults?
    Mybe I can set something up for you?!?!
    She has Chicks, RIR, Barred Rock coming in.

5. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Just saw that yours just hatched 3 weeks ago, aswers my question!! Hi Hi
    pm me if you want

6. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    we are using a recycled pet door for our standard breeds, but is it like 12x18 inches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by