will paint hurt my chickees??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 28, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i want to paint my coop sky blue will green grass coming up from the bottom and a tree... but im scared the paint might hurt my chicks? of course i would lte it dry out.. but stilll.... ? HELP!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My guess would be as long as you don't paint the chickens too then they will be fine.

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    LOL!!!! hmmmm.... JK! i will not [​IMG]

4. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Songster

Quote:Actually, one of my girls tried to go under the coop while I was painting, and got pink paint all over her feathers...... didn't notice til I saw the pink chicken walk by me!

She's fine. (course I cleaned her off)

... but I think the rule of thumb is, if you can still "smell" a paint smell, don't put them in yet. Once it's dried. it's fine.

5. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    im talking about the inside tho///

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I painted my coop and the chickens decided to roost on the wet paint. They were a little "oops paint blue" but survived the experience. I only buy oops paint because I can find great colors and great quality for a lot less.
    Caroline

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds &amp; Bees

Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

im talking about the inside tho///

Yes ~ paint the inside! Use gloss or semi-gloss paint as it makes it easier to clean the dust and poop off. Paint whatever color makes you happy when you go inside ~ the chickens won't care. One of my coops is sunny yellow inside and the other is sky blue.​

8. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Get the brushes out and get going.....you will be glad you did

9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    thanks [​IMG]

10. jomercer

jomercer Songster

Mine is painted inside with white gloss exterior paint--cleans up like a charm and wears like iron.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by