1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will peahens leave chicks to begin new breeding season?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by stacir, Mar 4, 2012.

1. stacir

stacir Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    This is the first year that I have let my hens raise their own chicks. I have two hens that raised chicks, one has 2 and the other has one. They are still hanging around together. They are free range. What will happen this spring around breeding season? Will the hens push the chicks out? Or will they decide not to breed? I can try to separate them as they are in the pens at night, but it will probably kill me to do that. :). They cry now when the become separated or at least they call out until they find each other.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    they will nest again this spring. The yearling will still hang around the other birds.,and each other

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They will lay again. How the mother deals with last year's youngsters depends on each hen. Some let them hang around with her even as she's setting- they 'reunite' when she takes potty breaks(more like the baby runs up when they see her...). Some become intolerant towards last year's babies when they finally hatch new babies.. some don't. I'd watch the latter to make sure the older youngsters are not being too mean with the little ones.

Some hens become completely intolerant towards last year's babies when it's breeding time again. These do everything to drive them away from her before they even set on their eggs.

Either way the youngsters will be fine once they get over their separation from mother.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I was kinda wondering this too. Ice hatched out her peachicks a bit late and so they are still not fully adult size. All of them are peahens. They are really starting to grow now that it is getting warmer and they seem capable of taking care of themselves. Some of them are already establishing there place in the pecking order. I figure Ice will lay this year and depending on what she hatches out I might sell some of this year's chicks or some of last year's chicks although I do need to work on making a free-range group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by