Will Pekin ducks hatch their own eggs??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PoultryBird12, Dec 17, 2014.

1. I have four pekins right now.... all hens..... and was hoping to get a drake sometime this summer/spring, and I had heard that Pekins aren't good mothers and don't pay much attention to their eggs.... is that true? If so, will I have to take the eggs in and "mother" them with my incubator...... ???? Or will the pekins do a good job with them? I really want to know and have not been able to find any place that has that info.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Every duck is different with different personalities, a pekin could be a good mother it just depend son her nature and her personality.

3. My ducks are nice, quiet, yet scared when people are around..... I read that in general Pekins aren't good mothers so I wondered if I should incubate their eggs or let nature take care of it it's self?

4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    If you want babies for sure then id recommend takeing them in the incubator just to be sure that some hatch.

5. OK. Thank you.

6. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    your welcome and p.s. i love your avatar pic

7. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Your pekin might sit on the eggs but might not long enough and good enough for them to hatch. Some hens are different than others. I would try to see if she lays on the eggs for a hour or so straight. If she gets up to go get food or water or stretch her legs then she goes right back to her eggs as fast as she can. That means she is trying to hatch them and I would leave them and maybe check back again to see if she is on them. But if she just gets up and does her regular stuff and leaves the eggs take them in immediately and put them in a incubator.

8. Great! Thank you very much! That helped!

9. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Your welcome. it wouldn't hurt to try that. Just don't leave them out there to long if she isn't laying on them. They might freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by