1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will penned up turkeys mate/ lay/ hatch?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Happy Camper, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I have 4 turkeys (2 toms and 2 hens) that just started doing the love dance. Just last week. They had been in an open area (fenced, but still open) with one goat and 4 pekin ducks.

Just after I noticed this, I penned them up to make sure the hens layed in a safe spot and they would not fly away trying to find a spot to lay.

Well, the first day they seemed really anxi, but the second day males were all fluffy, flirting w/ the girls again. The penn is a 10 x 10 x 6 aprox.... is really the best I could do.

Has anyone had turkeys successfully mate and lay in a penn? Should I remove the toms when the hens begin laying?

All ideas and testimonials are very welcomed!

2. turkeyguy123

turkeyguy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    they should still lay. If you want the hens to hatch for you I would remove the toms, otherwise just give them a spot to lay. An elevated nesting box would be best. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I put a nice nesting box in the pen, however I saw a nest like hole on the groung with hay nicely placed that is looking very nestty to me... I have never had turkeys before and they have not started laying yet... The nest I put is on the floor but covered w/ a dog house roof... I will try putting an elevated nest and definetely removing the toms once I can be sure they have bred.

I see a lot of dancing and nothing else... I'd like to see and egg or a finalized mating session before I get the toms out... Thanks!

4. turkeyguy123

turkeyguy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Try putting a few fake eggs, sold at many craft type stores, where you want them to lay, or move any eggs they do lay and they should get the point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by