1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will people want free birds in August? (MA-NH)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bhadrika, May 7, 2008.

1. bhadrika

bhadrika Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Mansfield, MA
    I just wanted to send out a feeler, to reassure myself and my boss. I'm ordering chicks for the camp I work at (I'm the nurse, but will hover and force the Nature Guy to take good care of them). At the end of camp, I'll then have about 15 birds of various breeds (more of the pretty/interesting ones rather than the mundane RRs & such) to find homes for -- we're planning to increase our flock some... but not that much. So, just out of curiosity, how many people out there would be likely to want to scope up some started (8 wk old)birds? Should I order females to increase the allure, or take my chances with straight run (part of the experience for the campers was hopefully to observe the developing sex characteristics/play "guess the breed" and "guess the gender")?

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Order females to increase the allure. Many people just can't have roosters. Know that any roosters you give away are likely to end up in the stew pot.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Order all females. You will probably get a male in there accidentally anyway. Then you can play "guess the roo".

Would you be ordering EE's? I may be interested in two of them.

4. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I am interested. I live near the NY, MA border, but I can only take hens. I live in the country but have neighbors who are close and they asked me not to keep roosters. Oh well..

5. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I would take some hens but live on the other side of the great divide. I don't believe you would have issues rehoming them.

6. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    If you happen to grab some Easter Eggers, I'd take a hen or too and maybe a rooster.

7. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I'd take them.
    I live in Orange county NY.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm sure that if you have females, that you'll even be able to sell them no problem. It can depend on your location, but a post at a feed store or on craigslist can find potential homes. Girls up here go for 10-25 a piece for 8 weeks old to under a year old layers.

9. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Get all hens. I can't even give away extra roosters for the stew pot.
    Hens I'd snap up!

10. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Why wouldn't people want free roosters for their stewpots? I wouldn't turn down good food.:|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by