will plastic waterer break?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mendozer, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    Here in seattle, it MAY get to like 20 something. Probably not most days. I have a 5 gallon water cooler jug. Will it break in the winter when or if water freezes?

I'm also going to be patching my wire panels with plastic sheeting and their "waste" will be contributing to warmth as will their own body heat.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Will it break in the winter when or if water freezes?

It might.

It's impossible to say yes or no since there are too many variables​

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    What are your plans for your waterer in the winter. We have pretty mild winters in Seattle but it still freezes for a few weeks and leaving the waterer out with just end with frozen water if you do not heat it or use a different waterer.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Depends, really. I am in BC, Canada. I have had water freeze in the plastic waterers plenty of times. One split when I dropped it frozen. All the others I carried in, defrosted, filled, and repeated the next day.

5. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    what about people who do the nipple system in pvc? I have nipples on my waterer and can easily mount them to a 1.5" pvc pipe.

I wasn't planning on heating it, but I can probably rig up a quick heater

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My waterer broke last week from freezing. However, I've had that one for 3 years.

7. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    I'm likely to have the same problem. I'm thinking about digging out the aquarium heater and using that in a pvc bucket with nipples inside the coop.

Keith

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. sambia62

sambia62 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    I have 2 5 gallon waters both poly what i am going to do is rotate them during freezing days

9. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I have had the same plastic waterer through two freezing winters now. I like to try to bring them in at night just because that way i can get the girls their water faster in the morning, but if i leave em out it really doesnt take much to just run some warm water over em and thaw em out. theyll be fine.

10. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    hmm an aquarium heater sounds cool. I may have to leave it on all night though so it doesn't get frozen in the water and break (if that happens).

I'll try making a cheap heater out of a cookie tin and light bulb and have it turn on a couple hours before I wake up. Of course i can't test that until January, but I'll get started on it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by