1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will poisionous snakes go after full grown hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coolchange, Feb 28, 2007.

1. coolchange

coolchange Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I have 4 hens and occasionally see the dreaded, nasty cottonmouth or moccasin snakes on my property. These snakes are very poisionous. My question is does anyone know if these snakes will go after a full grown hen?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I haven't heard either way re. full grown hens, but make sure you clear eggs out daily. The snakes will be all over those!

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    And chicks. I lost a chick to a snake last summer. As for full grown hens, it may depend on the size of the snake. I bet a 6' rattler would, but I don't know about a cotton mouth.

[​IMG]:

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Coolchange, The answer to your question is YES! Take a look at the GIANT snake picture that I posted under the predators topic! This snack was eating my neighbors full grown laying hens. The snakes picture is located under the topic PREDATORS AND PESTS, then under the topic SNAKE PROTECTION. Johnny

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by