Will pullet eggs hatch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kschix, Mar 31, 2009.

1. kschix

kschix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    DeSoto, Kansas
    One of our younger hens is broody and setting on her nest of pullet eggs days and night. Will these little eggs even hatch? And if they do are the chicks going to be normal size?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    If you have a rooster and he's been doing his job you should get a babies.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I sure hope they do, i got about 11 under a broody right now all are developing nicely so far. The only thing that is concerning is the eggs will be much smaller than hen eggs which means some may need help getting out or may not make it due to space issues. Good luck with them i hope both of our eggs hatch [​IMG]

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They will be fertile, but you have to watch for problems hatching due to small egg size. The chicks often don't have the room necessary to hatch because the egg is too small.

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:~

Quote:both of these posts are true, but i have hatched many pullet eggs with a pretty high hatch rate (60-80%)

i vote let her be broody and see what comes out [​IMG]

just be sure to candle on day 7 and day 15 to see how things are coming along [​IMG]

best of wishes!

6. kschix

kschix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    DeSoto, Kansas
    OKay well I will just wait and see if they hatch:) We'll see if Bruno (the rooster) is doing a good job. How long does it take for them to hatch typically?

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    21 days, some may be a day early or a few days late as the chicken will lay eggs for a few days after she goes broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by