Will Pure Black Ameraucana Roo over Barred Rock, Domonique and Cuckoo Maran Hens make Olive Egg layi

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FrenchToast, Jan 15, 2012.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I guess my heading speaks for itself.
    Will Pure Black Ameraucana Roo over Barred Rock, Domonique and Cuckoo Maran Hens make Olive Egg laying Sex Links?

I also have Black Australorp roo to make sex links but I thought about using the Ameraucan to give me olive eggs.

How does this gene work ? The green or olive part ?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They'll all be sex links (dom, marans, rock) but only the marans will really give you olive egger offspring. The rest will be easter eggers.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Forgot to add- you need the blue egg gene from the ameraucana and the "paint" or chocolate egg gene from the marans. Don't discount any single-combed offsping from this mating, as they can still be valueable dark layers. You really want the pea-combed ones for OEs though.

4. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    Does anyone have a pic of what they might look like all grown up? I have a Black roo and Barred Rock - curious.

5. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Males will have barring for Marans, females solid. The Maran crosses wil be olive, Dominique will be light green.

6. heebygeebies

heebygeebies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Does it work the opposite way too? Would a barred rock roo over black ameraucana hens make sex links as well?

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have one, not of Urch stock, that will bs allowed into breeding pen this year. She is only one with spurs to make cut for breeding pen so far.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Using a barred rooster over black hens will not give you sex linked chicks. They will all be barred.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Post above randomly placed here.

10. hotlipshens

hotlipshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    south central PA
    you wont get any single combs if the rooster is a purebred ameraucana - they will all have modified pea combs and have a blue egg shell gene...not the same if you use an EE often called "americana"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by