Will putting a turkey in with chickens vaccinated for mareks put the turkey at risk.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kelck22, Nov 9, 2013.

1. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Since chicks are vaccinated with turkey mareks , can they infect a turkey with mareks?

2. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Anyone?

3. zimzimberry

zimzimberry New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    I have my flock mixed but I always worm & vaccinate & quarantine a new bird before it goes in the mix. I also know that the soil they are on hasn't had other fowl on it in several years. Hope that helps.

4. odbo9

odbo9 New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Kelch, how old are your turkeys? Turkeys immune system is built up after they are 2 months old. I have raised both and from all my experierce and reading you are safe.

5. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    I am pretty new to Turkeys myself. But I recently purchased a young Jake ( Spanish Black ) and a Royal palm hen. Both were raised with not only other turkeys but lots of chickens of different breeds, sizes and ages. I know Blackhead can be an issue. I quarantined mine and then slowly introduced them to my birds. Haven't seen any issues but I did deworm the entire flock together after I introduced the turkeys. I also ordered the antibiotics needed to treat Blackhead should anything occur.

So my advice would be do it slowly, and order the items needed should an emergency occur so your not waiting for things to arrive, and possibly wasting precious time that could save a bird.

Good luck! I just placed my order for 16 of Porters Turkey Poults I'm already liking them more than my chickens...but don't tell my chickens that.

6. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    I was going to do corid in the water as a preventative for blackhead.

What would I use to treat if they do get it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by