Will Quail eat the sowbugs in my strawberry patch without eating my strawberries?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TACEYPERKINS, Mar 27, 2012.

1. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    I have a strawberry patch that is infested with sow bugs/rolie polies.They are eating holes in all my strawberries. I would like to try a non chemical method of getting rid of them, but, I need something that won't hurt my strawberries.
    My question is, will quail do the bug eating job, and leave my strawberries alone? If so what kind of quail will do the job better?
    Thank you.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If your quail are anything like my few little ones I have... they'll eat the bugs, the berries, then the plants... LOL They are like mini chickens! But mine have only been out a few times when I took them home. Most of the time they are caged. So they may have had a hay day roaming in a fenced off area eating anything green in sight and taking baths galore.

3. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    If you let your quail free range they will all be gone. Forever.

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i would recommend that you get yourself a few smaller breed ducks.My ducks LOVE sow bugs (and stinkbugs too) but are NOT fond of strawberries.Plus,they don't fly away if you free range them.

5. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    They won't be free ranging, I have a completely enclosed strawberry patch.
    So small breed ducks might work? Like call ducks?

6. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Thank you for all the replys, I was wondering will Chukur birds eat my strawberries?

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The wild quail around here adore strawberries. I wouldn't count on quail leaving the berries alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by