We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Will Quail use a ramp?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rheo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. rheo

rheo Chirping

Jan 8, 2014
    I made a quail cage with a ramp so they can go from one level to the other..

They don't really seem to be getting the hang of it yet..

Is there some specific angle and spacing of the rungs there should be?

2. rlchatham

rlchatham Chirping

May 9, 2017
    SW Oklahoma
    I use steps. Concrete blocks work great! They like to hop.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. rheo

rheo Chirping

Jan 8, 2014
    This is the design I came up with.. i do have 1x2 "rungs" going up the ramp but i think maybe they might be too far apart.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 8.42.37 AM.png

Danny C. likes this.
  4. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    Mine do, two actually.. one in and out of the shed.

5. Nabiki

Nabiki Songster

May 15, 2019
    Sonoma County, CA
    How high do they jump comfortably? My coop is about 12" higher than the ground in the run. Will they jump that, or will I need to create a step?

6. rheo

rheo Chirping

Jan 8, 2014
    could you take a photo for me please?

7. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    My quail will not use a ramp, preferring instead to hop from level to level. Each level in my cages is elevated about a half-foot from the other levels, and they seem to find this acceptable.

8. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    Imagine a wall, with a brick sized hole in it, about a foot from the ground. Now imagine a wee ramp, with horizontal ribs going across it. That is all I have on either side. I kept them in the brick shed for a week or so before letting them out, and when they were out, made sure that food and water was only kept in the shed (So they go back in).
    I'll try to get a picture.

ScoutingInTheWoods likes this.
  9. preciouseureka

preciouseureka Chirping

Apr 3, 2016
    We have ramps in ours, we've had no trouble. I think the trick is to make it a very long gradual slope with rungs pretty close together. Mine seem to really like having short walls on the sides as well. It's a great way to maximize space and provide a built in patio area. Good Luck!

10. rlchatham

rlchatham Chirping

May 9, 2017
    SW Oklahoma
    Ive tried all kinds of shelters for my bobwhites and coturnix to use but they seldom use them. They prefer the elements, i guess, or a bush to hide in. The bobwhites will fly up to perch on branches though. Some are 3-4 feet high. Good flight practice. Haven't seen much perching with the coturnix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: