Will rain keep them out of the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hayabusa3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hayabusa3

hayabusa3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi guy's - we've got 6 chickens/pets and it's been pretty smooth sailing so far. They're onlt 18 weeks or so although I have to keep rechecking cos it feels like it's been sooo much longer! Anyway, we've just had our first rains this week since they were born and now when I go out to close the door at night I find them sitting on the outside perch and not warm and dry in the coop. Actually 1 of the 6 was inside on both occasions this has happened. In the last 2 weeks or so they have been getting more of our leftovers which they devour at ease. Nothing has happened as far as I'm aware of inside the coop - our run is very secure so I don't think anything got in there and spooked them....actually it couldn't have as I let them out each morning too. I've also noticed that a handfull of times when I open their door in the morning they don't even want to come out, usually they trample each other trying to get out! I open the door at 7am.
    So I'm thinking it's either the rain is confusing them? Or they are getting ready to lay (Only 2 look like they could lay - red thingys). Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks.

2. hayabusa3

Jul 23, 2011
    Got them as teeny tiny's on memorial day....

3. hayabusa3

Jul 23, 2011
    bump!

4. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Rain doesnt seem to make any difference to mine and this week was their first rain too. My Plymouth Rock was half her usual size she was so wet. My Americauna is still broody and not coming out regardless.

5. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    We just started getting rain here in the SF Bay area too. My chickens are around 25 weeks or so and while they are too stupid to get out of the rain they do return to roost as usual at dusk. You'd think they'd go under the bbq or the spa deck when it rains but they seem to prefer standing in the rain. oh well, as long as they keep up their end of the egg laying bargain I'll keep up mine and let them do as they please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by