Will Rats harm my Chicks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SunChick, Apr 22, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    We have been fighting the rat population between our barn and the neighbors barn. I want to move my chicks out of my garage to the coop soon, they are about 3-4 weeks old but am worried about the big furries hurting them. I have standards and silkies--so different sizes. Would they? I am looking into getting one of those Rat Zapper contraptions--they had a good review in one of the poultry mags. Anyone use one of these? Chicks can't get into one of these can they? I don't want to put bait down, cause the rats move it constantly and I have a 4-legged 800 lb dog (ok 2yr old horse) that I have to worry about eating everything! I swear those rats laugh at me when I check the coop at night and I can't reach the hoe fast enough to whack them! Furry Devils!!

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Thats exactly why I got my two barn cats. The rats would just keep playing when I went in the barn. Now the only rats I see are dead. And that is not very often anymore.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    A Friend of mine just lost his chicks to Rats, so yes they will kill chicks.

4. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Non pun intended. but RATS! [​IMG] Ok anyone use the rat zapper? Guess I need to move my broody T-rex..

5. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:are you refering to the ultra sonic thing?? If you are they dont work, but if you are talking about something else I dont know.

6. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    By the way, the chicks my friend lost were Silkies! they were hatched by a broody, and even with mum around, the rats still got them.[​IMG]

7. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Not an ultrasonic device. Traps and shocks the crap out of them...Just dont want the chicks to wander in it.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Just curious, I couldn't stand to have such a hyper animal, but has anyone ever had a ratting dog like a Jack Russel terror, umm terrier, to fight a rat problem? I don't know how they would be around chickens. I've been told they are great at rodent control. I'm hoping my neighbors outside cats will take care any problems for me. My 3 kitties stay inside. Two of them were afraid of the peeps in the brooder, but none were allowed alone with them.

Karen

9. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    I wouldn't leave any dog alone with chicks for extended periods of time. Why not put them in a wire cage till they get big enough to defend themselves? How many do you have? I was able to make instant nighttime safe places for my feathered friends by using dog kennels (wire) and rabbit hutches. I also made a hardware cloth wooden framed one with chicken wire bottom so the whole thing was wrapped in wire - but I know for sure a dog could get into that so my home base for overnighting in that one is on solid concrete with a weight on top. Never underestimate the safety needs of your fowl - everybody likes eating chickens! :eek:

10. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    I forgot to add that I used a zapper on mice in a very small enclosed space and it appeared to be effective. However there were no tasty young chickens at risk. I think they might keep them away from a space in general but I would not risk my babies on a trial. Might help with pilfering of feed though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by