Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
I have a pair of ringneck doves, a tangerine male, and an albino female. I'm trying to breed them so I can pull out the squabs as pets once they're weaned. A few days ago, I bought some bird nests for breeding my doves. The issue I'm concerned with is the placement of the nest. I've seen some images of ringneck doves nesting on the bottom of their pen, rather than the wall off the floor. But I always thought doves nest in elevated structures rather than on the ground. So will the position of the nest affect their reproduction and nesting customs?

Thank you so much in advance!

I used to breed albino ringnecks, their nest was a clay bowl on the bottom of a rabbit hutch, they had access to a bigger pen with the hutch inside, I never had reproductive issues.

will the position of the nest affect their reproduction and nesting customs?
It is my experience with homing pigeons that they adapt to what is available. I use dollar store dog bowls (they are not a tippy canoe) with a bit of sand or gravel (to help avoid spayed leg) on the bottom with in my case pine needles which are abundant on my property. Some times my birds lay next to the bowl. I merely pick up the egg and place in the bowl and things carry on with no issues.

Dbowl.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom