Will RIR's go broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss_thenorth, Jan 19, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have 6--welll actually I think they are either RIRs or red rock's (that's what I was told) and I was thinking about breeding them to actually hatch eggs. I don't want to mess around with incubators, so I was wondering if these breeds will go broody. If they don't go broody, I can get a silkie very easily.

From what I understand, they are a dual purpose breed, and they are great egg layers, but I wanted to hatch some of them for meat. So this being the case--what type of roo should I get?

Is this the place to ask, or should I go to meat birds? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    well out of all the rirs that i have I have only had one go broody not sure if it is just mine but they just do not seem to like it. You could always get rir and than get some types of birds that like to go broody.I have a cochin and I tell you she goes broody on nothing. Just put the eggs under her and she hatches them and I have even used her to put day old chicks and she has raised guineas for me. you could also research more i can't remeber where i saw it but it said if they were broody birds or not under the different types.

3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I have 3 RIR's and none of them go broody ..... my turken bantams and silkie seem to be broody all the time !!![​IMG]

4. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I have 20 RIR hens and in a year, only one has gone broody...She is broody right now on day 8....

Broody RIR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by