will roaming dogs attack a horse the way they might a goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Nov 8, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    hi. am getting a horse soon, i believe. is a horse big enough that dogs wouldn't pack up on it, or are their similar fears regarding dogs? thanks.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've only had a problem with a feral dog once, and we did have to shoot the dog. It thought my show hunter was fun to chase. No bueno.

The big problem with dogs is they will chase horses, not so much attack them. Horses are stupid, and will hurt themselves when being chased. Also, dogs can bite at legs and cause damage - more so on ponies.

So, keep them in mind and if you have a problem dog, you'll have to deal with it in some way.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I think if there is a problem dog, it won't really matter that the horse is bigger. A pack of dogs would be much more of an issue for sure.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  4. Mountain Medley

Mountain Medley New Egg

Oct 12, 2007
    At my Grandparent's place they had dumped dogs pack up and attack their horses. My Grandma would put them at night in the corrals close to their house so that they could keep a better eye on them at night. Night time was when the attackes happened.

Not only would they go after the full grown horses. They also would pack up and kill the calves, sheep, lambs, and once they got one of their young pigs. [​IMG]

5. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    thanks for the input. am possibly taking in a free to good home type horse and want to make sure my environment is prepared.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've had stray dogs chase my horse, and he's no small fry either (quarter horse & appaloosa mix). The dogs generally end up dying of lead poisoning.

One time a couple of dogs didn't just chase, they penned him in the barn. Terrible... terrible, I was furious!

(I lived near a highway & FM road intersect, lots of dogs get dropped off in the area)

7. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Dogs that are will attack a goat will also chase and possibly do extreem damage to a horse.

I own both dogs and horses and don't let them even play chase for the safy of both. The dog can bite the horse to the point that it has to be put down. The horse can kick, trample or bite a dog to the point it dies or has to be put down.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I completely agree with Kate - horses can hurt themselves while running away from danger. They are a prey animal by nature, and their first instinct is to run when they're frightened or unsure. And - I had a trainer once who ended up having to put a horse down due to a dog grabbing it's back leg and tearing a ligament. GOOD LUCK!!

9. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    yes. lead poisoning is a possiblity here, too. [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup to all the above. Note that dogs, especially in groups as opposed to alone, are definitely more of a danger to horses than coyotes are. Dogs have much less fear or, um, sense [​IMG] so are much bolder than coyotes. Even if they don't actually bite the horse, they can still very easily run him til something bad happens.

If this is going to be an issue, you need as horse-safe fences as you can possibly manage (not just strong and free of pointy parts, but very visible and of a type the horse probably won't get tangled in if he hits the fence), PLUS several strands of extra-high-voltage electric discouragement on the outside of the horse fencing, PLUS do your best to keep the dogs away by any other means necessary. I'd suggest something like 4' 2x4 no-climb mesh fencing with the aforementiioned electric strands outside of it (and one inside at rump height, too, to prevent the horse from pushing the fence over). I know that's more expensive but so are vet bills or the knacker's truck.

If you haven't actually gotten a horse yet, it would also be wise to stay away from flightier animals, meaning an old-style QH would be better than one of the sillier individuals of TBs, or a farm type draft horse rather than an ex-show-horse arab or saddlebred. Depends on the individual of course, not just the breed.

You could also consider a donkey companion for your horse -- I mean a 'real' donkey not a mini -- as donkeys very often have little or no use for dogs and are not generally shy about drop-kicking 'em clear across the pasture (hence their use as sheep guard animals).

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by