Will roos get into nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Aug 22, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I'm wondering if Jane Marple is really M. Poirot. But would s/he climb into the nest box if so?
    [​IMG]

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yes, roosters will get in the nest boxes... I have a BR that refuses to roost and sleeps in a box. They will also at times get in with your hen to help her... giving her support and coaching her to lay an egg. I thought it was weird too... but other members have told me that their roosters do the same thing as for the coaching and support thing. As for roosting, I have not read anyone elses post saying a thing about it. Hope I answered.

Tes

3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Great, I may have a couple NH roos. That's exactly what they do -- pace and talk and climb in with the others.

[​IMG]

4. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    My roosters actually prefer the nest box over the roost pole.

5. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    I have 9 roos (14 wks old) and there are 3 that use the boxes at night, the other 6 roost. Go figure. Anyhow, there will soon only be 3 total, cuz I have too many for my hens. :eek:

6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I know the feeling... I have 15 of them still and 38 hens... ugggg... We seriously need to down size. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by