Will roosters EVER get along????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpiedpiper, Nov 8, 2008.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I have a really sweet 'resident' rooster named Chester. He is over a year old, and affectionate and tolerant to all the ladies, cats, dogs and people that share his territory. But this years group of young birds has two roosters in it, and we would like to keep them, one is a lovely but HUGE Blue Cochin, and the other is an even larger Wyandotte that makes Chester look like a Bantam. (Chester is of unknown heritage)

Just in the last few days, Chester has begun pushing the sweet natured Blue cochin out to the fringes of the yard and driveway. Not a safe place in our woodsy region! Eventually I fear he will spend all his time and energy chasing these two young upstarts.

Will They ever work it out, or will lines be drawn all over the yard? We have always found homes for our other young boys, but we would like to keep these two? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I have several roo's I think 17. They all know who the boss is. They usually have a pecking order. They will figure out who is boss. Our older ones really don't fight. The smaller ones fight a lot, but it seem to be more for fun. If your rooster's aren't really hurting one another I would just leave them and watch them, but if they start bringing blood then I would separate them. I hope this helps. DJ

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If your roos have enough space, they can get along. However, if there are girls in the pic, closed housing is often just asking for trouble.

4. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I have gotten them to live together when they were raised together from chick size. I have had a hard time introducing a full sized new roo to a flock with an already established roo myself. Good luck!

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I must be one of the lucky ones and I will keep my fingers crossed. I introduced two, 5month old roosters to my flock on the same day. I have never seen them fight. The two I had introduced had lived in a small cage until I took them home. Then I set them free. Maybe they where so happy to be free that they didn't care who was the dominate rooster. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] DJ

6. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Well, I have been watching this weekend, and sure enuff, Chester is chasing poor Bluester every chance he gets! now I always see the younger bigger gentler Blue Cochin a good distance away from all the others.... This is not safe here, and he looks so forlorn!

Any advice?

The victim.....Bluester

[​IMG]

The Meanie...... Chester
    [​IMG]

7. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Chester is a handsome beast !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by