Will roosters fight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dominiker, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dominiker

dominiker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    If I put 2 or more bantam roosters in a coop with bantam hens will they fight?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    anything is possible. [​IMG] they could or they could not.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Almost without exception, when chickens are in small groups (< 30 individuals) a pecking order developes. Order determined by results of fights, wihich are usually of short duration and often go undetected. With some breeds (i.e those bred for fighting) and when individuals of relatively high social rank are involved, the fighting can be intense, prolonged and result in damaged feathers or worse. At very least a brief fight will occur to establish rank.

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Quote:Almost without exception, when chickens are in small groups (< 30 individuals) a pecking order developes. Order determined by results of fights, wihich are usually of short duration and often go undetected. With some breeds (i.e those bred for fighting) and when individuals of relatively high social rank are involved, the fighting can be intense, prolonged and result in damaged feathers or worse. At very least a brief fight will occur to establish rank.

I second this. [​IMG]
    My Auracana and Barred Rock roosters were equally matched, so their fight went on for awhile, resulting in a lot of blood and lost feathers, due to the fact that the Rock fought really dirty, but nothing REALLY serious happened (I separated them though).
    My little breed roosters work it out quickly and get along well, so bantams will probably be fine. I've seen people with three or four bantam roosters together.
    It's very much like the big breeds like Rocks 'wrestle', while many of the little breeds 'fence'. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they have been raised together, the may work out the pecking order as juveniles. If you introduce two mature roosters who do not know one another, they will fight.

6. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    I would have to say most likely yes. We have 7 roosters, BUT we have 38 girls, still not enough to go around I know. But since all of ours are out all day we don't seem to have any problems. There's enough room for everyone . We have 1 polish roo, 1 leghorn roo, 2 polish/leghorn X roo's, 1 EE roo, 1 RIR roo, & 1 silky roo. They all get along unless we pen them together. If there are girls around & their penned they fight. Since all our birds free range all day no fighting. As you can see we have different breeds of roo's & different ages too. 3 of them are full grown over a year old roo's, and the others are almost there.

GOOD LUCK![​IMG]

7. dominiker

dominiker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    thanks for all the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by