will roosts to close to the coop wall cause mold

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Jan 22, 2011.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have black blotches on my coop wall where the roost is . is it mold . i have catch boards underneath and i clean the roost off twice a week usually. i put clean shavings on the poop board everytime. roost is to close to wall. poop gets on wall . its just in that one area. down bottom by the floor.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Seems like it would be more of a moisture problem, than anything else...Are you sure you don't have a leak in the roof, moisture coming in through the floor? Does there seem to be a lot of condensation? Are you positive it is not poop? My chickens seem to get poop in the most unlikely places! The actual poop can add quite a bit of moisture to the air- depending on your weather. Frozen poop, not so much! I would try cleaning off those poop boards every morning and see if that changes the moisture in the coop. No need to put wood chips on them, if you are scraping them daily. Keep us posted.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You're sure it's not squirty cecal poo hitting the wall? You should be able to tell the difference, cecal poo on the wall will look like something splashed there on its way down, with well-defined edges, whereas a mildewy patch is usually not oriented w/r/t gravity and has more-indistinct edges. Also poo will be brownish (sometimes very chocolate-dark-brown) whereas mold or mildew rarely is that color.

If it *is* mold/mildew, is this above or below the level of the droppings board? If above, I suppose it could be from localized dampness given off by poo piling up on the droppings board, solution being to scrape the board off more often (like maybe daily), which if you set things up right takes literally only seconds. If it is *below* the level of the droppings board I would tend to doubt the droppings board has much to do with it, unless some fraction of poo is missing the droppings board and piling up on the bedding below, in which case see previous sentence about removing poo deposits more often.

Other factors that can produce patches of mold/mildew on interior coop walls include moisture leaking thru from roof or siding or window flashing; a defect in insulation (if the rest of the wall is insulated) such as damp or missing insulation in that area so it creates a cold spot on the wall; or airflow patterns that cause air not to circulate as well in that locations (especially if your droppings board is low so this is a rather small confined space under it)

So, hopefully maybe you can look at those suggestions and find something that rings a bell?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    now that i looked at it more closely it does look like splattered poo on its way down the wall.

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That's no biggy! When we get a warm day, just grab a bucket of soapy water and give it a scrub...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by