Will rounder eggs hatch hens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1chicken_2little, Apr 13, 2011.

1. 1chicken_2little

1chicken_2little Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Anybody ever kept kept track if rounder eggs hatch more hens? I know it's maybe a wives tale, but there were a lot of sharp farm wives back in the day. Most wives tales are pretty darn accurate. I don't mean to offend any of you ladies. I know every farm has a sharp farm wife, or at least in my case our farm is successful because my wife works in town and on the farm! I was blessed with an awesome women, she's just more into the cows and horses than the chickens. Anyway, I was just curious about setting rounder eggs. I kinda have seen some truth to it, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No....if that were true I'd never hatch any Marans roosters and I can assure you I've hatched many of them from very round eggs.

3. 1chicken_2little

Apr 10, 2011
    Any other opinions?

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Not true!! Sorry...

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I dont know but you should try it! let us know what happens

6. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Hehe sorry, but that one is not true. [​IMG]

They also say pointy eggs hatch out roos.

ScissorChick

7. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Hens tale!

8. 1chicken_2little

Apr 10, 2011
    Last year I set eggs under two broodies. I tried to pick as round of an egg as possible. One hatched 7 hens out of 9 and the other was 3 and 3. So over all 10 out of 15 were hens. Probably just the way it was going to be, but I have thirty eggs in the bator now that I picked the same so we'll see in a couple weeks. Thanks for all your opinions. I was just curious what everyone else thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by