will roundworms be expelled in feces when given waxine17?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citychickenfarm, Jun 13, 2011.

1. citychickenfarm

citychickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    will roundworms be expelled in feces when given waxine17? I gave it to my chickens last night and finished up this am. When I inspected the feces this am I did see what appeared to be roundworms in the feces.

My second question revolves around when the eggs are ok for human consumption? I have read on this forum anywhere from 8 days up to a month. It looks like most posts being 14 days.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yes, it's possible to see roundworms in the poop after dosing with wazine, or any wormer for that matter. There's a 14 day withdrawal for slaughter after using wazine, 21 days for swine. If the chicken is good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs.
    I recommend you follow up in 10-14 days with a broad spectrum wormer such as valbazen cattle/sheep wormer (albendazole) or safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) to kill roundworms that the wazine missed as well as other types of worms that chickens get.

3. citychickenfarm

citychickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Thank you. When I follow up with the other wormer does it mean I have to wait another 14 days to eat the eggs?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Unfortunately yes. However, if you redose the tenth day after using the wazine, the grand total withdrawal would be 24 days vice 28 days.
    Then when you decide to worm later on down the road, just worm with valbazen only.... because it kills all worms over several days, no worries about toxic wormload.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by