Will separating Rooster make him crow a ton more

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KendraMarie, Apr 23, 2017.

1. KendraMarie

KendraMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2016
    I want to separate my rooster from the hens to give them a break for a bit. I have a separate part inside the coop by the hens I could put him in so they can see each other but not touch each other. Will this cause him to Crow incessantly since you can't actually get to them or will it be OK?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    No. Mine crow not in response to hens directly, rather to other roosters.

1 person likes this.
  3. emmaellis111

emmaellis111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    shropshire UK
    He'll be fine separated. He will still crow the same as normal. If anything he might get a little feisty as he won't be able to get at the girls. But i suppose it's no different if the hens were having babies. He would have to be out then. Try it[​IMG].. I bet the girls would love a break lol.

1 person likes this.
  4. KendraMarie

KendraMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2016

Thanks! Why would he need that be separated if the hens hatched chicks?

5. emmaellis111

emmaellis111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    shropshire UK
    Because the chicks are small they can get trampled on.but some people have had problems when they have to introduce the chicks to cockrel. I suppose it's just what ever u feel like doing. So separate some don't

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If he is more than a year old or even nine months, he will behave in a manor that is decidedly different from a cockerel. He will show hens and especially offspring more difference such that he is less hard on them. Once a year old I would use the term "cock" to describe him rather than cockerel or rooster. Former specifies less mature male while latter is flat out vague other than meaning male chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by