Will she be too cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jhmoore, Jan 23, 2009.

1. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    Well, I have finally been able to complete the new coop for my polish hen that was being picked on. After a month of being in the house, she finally moved back outside today. We ended up building a large ark-type coop, suitable for up to 4 birds. So, her roosting area is above a large run. She's currently in the run portion, alongside the pen that my other chickens are in. There is some yelling back and forth, but most noise is coming from her.

I'd really like to put my other polish hen in with her, for company and because they both are bullied. But, should I just put them together, or give her a day to settle into her new home? I'm afraid, without a buddy, that she'll be too cold tonight. Any advice?

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Id give them the day to get used to yelling across the fence at each other. Then tonight at dark slip inside and add the new girl while the first is settled down roosting.

3. jhmoore

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    Do you think it will make a difference if it's not totally dark? The heat lamp wil be on them...

4. jhmoore

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    Ok- so I put my other polish hen (Panni) in with Sophie (the recovering polish hen) once it got dark. Initially, Sophie seemed afraid to come out and see who it was. Then, they both jumped up on the roosting post and Panni acted like she was starting to sleep. But, as Sophie started grooming herself, Panni pecked her several times. So, I'm wondering...do I pull them apart right away? Is this normal behavior while they get to know each other again? I'm just paranoid, since obsessive pecking is what landed Sophie in the house by herself to begin with... i need advice.

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    They will have to figure out a pecking order. If you have lights in the coop I would use red bulbs (if your not already) Red light will camouflage any blood or red sore sports so they don't continuously peck at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by