Will she come home????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GAhen, Feb 11, 2008.

1. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Not sure where to post this, But I had an incident this morning....
    My favorite pullet likes to fly the coop. Even when I put her in another netted coop she still manages to escape.
    Well this morning she was an early bird.....She usually does not get out till late morning.
    But this morning as I was on BYC and seeing how to clip wings I heard a commotion out the window.
    I looked out and saw one of my dogs dashing into the woods.....OH NO!!!!
    I ran out in my pjs and socks hoping to distract her.....NO SUCH LUCK.
    I called and called made all kinds of noises that would make her think a treat was in store........nothing........I heard her bark in that prey driven way.....I heard my pullet's BOCK a couple of times so I knew she was still alive.
    I ran to the house for shoes and a can of dog food, I thought the smell of the stuff would coax her( Baily the dog) back......That was wishful thinking.
    Her bark told me she did not have my bird yet...so off into the woods I went......armed with a can of dog food and a rake.
    I finally made my way to Baily.......she had her eyes set on her prey. I crossed the creek and temped her with the food. She fell for it......I could not see my pullet and at that point I wanted her to stay put, at least till I grabbed Baily.
    Baily was soaked....evidently my bird jumped the creek and landed in a place that Baily could not get to.
    I did not think to get a leash as I ran into the woods so the only way to get Baily out was to carry her. She is at least 50 pounds....so I left my rake to mark the stop and began to carry Baily to the garage.....It was a hard haul....Up hill threw briers, and thick brush.
    I had to stop a couple of times.
    Once I secured Baily I went back to find my pullet ( she is my favorite NN, very sweet).
    I went back to the spot were I left my rake....looked all around, I looked in the creek....there was an area where it was deep.....nothing....
    I never saw feathers, not blood....
    Do you think she will come back.....I sure hope so.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. GAhen

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Just went out to check....She is back.....a little damp, but looks good!
    YEA!!!!!

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Glad to hear that your little houdini-chicken is back! [​IMG]

4. GAhen

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Thanks, I will have to figure something out to keep her in, until I let her out.....
    She is so sweet!

5. GAhen

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Does anyone clip wings??

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:This was my favorite part. [​IMG] I'm glad she came back. I've clipped wings once and it really didn't work for me. I've tried both clipping just one wing and clipping both wings. They still got to where they wanted to go so I didn't see any point in clipping anymore. I guess it works for some people, but not me, my chickens are too determined. [​IMG]

What is she getting out of? A covered run? I have a small run which is covered with chicken wire on the top for my main coop which they have 24/7 access and then they just free-range during the day.

7. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Hey GAHEN! I am in Woodstock Ga and I can clip wings! I have been clipping ALL kinds of wings for about 10 years. I can show you how....pretty easy once you learn. I will pm you with my contact info.

8. GAhen

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    They are in separate runs.
    I plan to cover the run she lives in. But I put her in the covered run and she found a hole.
    My chickens free range most all day, then in the coop at night.
    She caught me off guard this morning.
    I am so glad she is ok...no more putting things off.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Glad she came home...
    There's not much more scary than seeing your bird go flying by your window...
    I wasn't able to get Obelisk back for like an hour...not until she felt it was safe to come out...I brought Penny around with me so that she could hear her buddy.

Wing clipping can work, but it depends on how determined the bird is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by