1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will she ever be accepted?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chikky, Jan 27, 2011.

1. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    My newest call duck (Dolly) is still being ostracized by the others and it is getting worse. I got her last October and it appears that she was a spring hatch- she's kinda small (blue-bibbed call) and shy as compared to the others (White call trio and a black call duck). The black call tolerates her for the most part, but the whites actively chase her.

Since breeding has begun, Davey (stud boy) has become even more agressive towards her - pulling her feathers, chasing her and so on. Of course, the 2 white call ducks join in on the fun. They're just mean to her. They don't let her in the pool, won't let her eat with them, etc.

My thought is that once Davey breeds her and makes her 'one of the girls', things should get better. Is this the case? I feel bad for her - she wants to be part of the gang but is too afraid of Davey to let him near her.

What have other's experiences been?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That seems like a long time for her not to be accepted-poor baby.
    Hopefully things will get better for her, but if not, she can come live with me. [​IMG]
    My flock usually messes with new ducks for a few days and then, all is well.

3. chikky

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I agree, I thought they'd start getting along better, not worse. Davey has 3 girls, dunno if the last one put him over the edge or what. (Of course, I want to enlarge my pen and get more...maybe segregate the whites from the others. I also am thinking that Davey should go be big shot in somewhere else, but I'm usually one to keep my pets til they pass of old age).

ugh.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awwww... how difficult for you and her.

My experience has been that if you leave them alone, they will NOT necessarily ever accept the new duck. I learned that the hard way by losing a couple of beloved ducks to bullying from other ducks before I really realized what was happening.

But the good news is that you may be able to manipulate things so that they will eventually get along. To do it, you're going to need at least one additional enclosure. The basic technique is just to shake things up enough that they forget they're not best friends. Some things you can try are to separate the meanest duck from everyone else for several days (it's best if he can't even see/hear the others, but that may not be possible) until he's desperate for company, then introduce the duck he hates. He may be so relieved for company that he decides to be nice. Another thing you could try is to put the nicest duck in a separate pen with the one who is being ostracized and let them bond--once they've bonded, you may have better luck re-introducing to the rest of the flock. Really, anything you can do to mix up the current balance will help the group learn to get on better, but you may have to play around with groupings for a while to get it right.

Sorry you're having this trouble. It's hard watching them be mean to each other. Hopefully, you'll be able to get it settled, and please post about your progress!

5. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I am so sorry. It's so upsetting, beause you want them to all just get along

I had a problem with a mean Mallard that had grown up with the other 3 ducklings. She was yanking out feathers to the point the other ducks were screaming. She'd grab hold of their wings in her bill and not let go. Wouldn't let them near the food or water. Even the Rouen was intimidated. We ended up putting her in a separate area with her own food and water. While she could see the other ducks, there was no contact. We tried to put them back together after 3-4 days and she started up again. Back she went. Then we tried after 6 days and she was a totally different duck. Didn't pick on anyone. She is still the sweetest girl now. John Metzer was the one who told me to try that. I emailed him in desperation!

Oooops. Sorry Cat. I had this open on my screen and didn't see your post. Yeah...what she said!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    Chikky, just let me adopt her, I will love her and squeeze her and let her bathe with me, and she can be my little princess. On a more serious level, I have had this to happen with mine also, I tried seperating them, I tired distractions in there pens, I put up a twisting turning type wind sprial decortation to worry them, and finally the little hen that was being abused, I took her out that pen and found her a husband and put them in another pen, but spring came and breeding season, and they all wanted to fornicate with her then, but I showed them, I made her a movable pen out on the fresh spring grass where I planted wild flowers and flax, and she got to graze in the sun all day and no body got to come out and play in that fresh green grass they had to sit in there cells and watch pennypoo.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have a little muscovy girl like that,the other hen picks on her all the time.
    Im ordering some more from country hatchery so poor little Annie can have someone to hang out with.

8. chikky

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Well, I put Davey in duckie jail Sunday evening - a large dog carrier in the garage. Monday nite, he got to swim in the bathtub for awhile and I read my Business Law textbook to him for about an hour. Tuesday nite, I brought Dolly in and put her in the tub, then put Davey in the tub.

I think the main issue is that he wants to breed her and she's having none of it yet. He kept chasing her around the tub with mating actions - not really being mean, just overly amorous.

So today, I put him back in with the ladies - I don't think things will get much better until she's ready to mate.

She got along pretty well with the other ladies while he was gone, so maybe that will be better.

I'll give it a month or so and see if it changes as she matures.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I took that class when I was in college-that's pretty serious punishment for him! [​IMG]

10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 5 runner ducks. I recently acquired a very pretty pekin drake. He lost his two buddies to critters and the owner wanted her duck to live with a new family since she was moving and couldn't take him with her. That said.......... whooosh........... my 3 runner boys are being sooo mean to him. It's been about 2 weeks and there is no let up in sight. Weebles (new name for Pekin duck) tries desparately to be friends. I'll stand there and break them up or shake a finger. They know I mean business about the fighting. They all run. Poor Weebles does his best to keep up. Honestly, Weebles has gotten faster since his first day.

I have noticed 1 boy tolerating him when alone. When the rest of the group gets close the fighting begins. Weebles was very submissive for a bit but now he is fighting back. They do the chest bump and the bill pushing at first then they start going for the throat or the back of the neck. Three against one just isn't fair. Even when swimming I have to run the runners out. Weebles needs his time in the pool too. I have 4 week old runners and tried to put him with the babies. That didn't work either. I knew he would probably go after them but figured he was desparate for company. Nope, apparently not. So, the saga continues. I am looking for a female for him but no luck yet. He will be a year around Easter time. Weebles does stay in a separate pen. They free range all day and Weebles is able to be with in 3 feet or so of the runners. I'm hoping they all get along soon. It's killing me to see this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by