1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Will She Ever Lay Again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redsmum, Jul 24, 2010.

1. redsmum

redsmum In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Milford, Michigan
    Hi, I bought a buff brahma hen in January from someone who was moving out of state and although i have no idea how old she was she was laying regularly at the start. Now I have noticed that she has stopped laying and I think this has been for at least a couple of months. I checked the spacing of her pelvic bones and had trouble getting even 1 finger between! My question is, if the bones have closed up will she ever lay again or is this the end of the road for her? I don't have enough space for free loaders. I have not noticed that she is in moult or any signs of illness just no eggs. She is one of my special favorites and will be sad to have to part with her, she is actually my Avatar pic! Isn't she just beautiful?

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I'm afaid she's coming on of age and she will proubly hardly lay at all, If you don't want her I say put her on craiglist, plenty of people will give her a great home [​IMG]

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing 9 Years

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If your sure she isn't laying you have no choice but to get rid of her unless you intend to keep her as a pet. You could try making sure she's eating a good layer mix and see if she kicks in but since you don't know her age it may not help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: