1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will she ever learn to get on the roost by herself?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheila3935, Jun 17, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a mix of 13 week old chicks. Some bantam some LF. I have 2 silkies, one will get up on the roost by herself ( I'm hoping her) The other a little black one will wait til I come in to lock up will walk right over to me and stand in front of me til I lift her up to the roost. She will stay there the rest of the night. In the morning she is down with the rest so I know its not some kind of leg or foot problem and I have checked too. My DD says she is spoiled and wants momma to do it. This is my first silkies. I will admit it is so adorable how she comes up to me to be put to bed. Its becoming routine. I go in pick her up give her a kiss and put her on the roost. The other night I had to work til 9. Told DH he would have to put her on the roost. She wouldnt let him so when I got home from work I went out and she was by the door waiting.( by the way door was closed and she was inside) Am I spoling her doing this or will she eventually get the hang of it?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How sweet! However maybe she needs a ladder to get up on the roost?? Is it too high for her? Or maybe you have a really "love chicken" on your hands. [​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    It is a ladder roost. Has 3 tiers. The other silkie and my bantams can get up there, she just wont. Guess she just wants me to put her up there. [​IMG]

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    She just love you [​IMG] how cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by