Will she ever stop brooding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrincessSweetChick, Apr 30, 2009.

1. PrincessSweetChick

PrincessSweetChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    Clarksburg, MD
    I have a silkie hen that has been brooding for 6 WEEKS NOW. Sounds like a long time to me . . . . .

2. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I don't know if they do on their own. I think that broodys who sit for long periods of time, without hatching, are prime candidates for dehydration, weight loss, and parasites. My experience is that my broodys have never stopped on their own until I intervened after I noticed weight loss. Course I did intervene, so I really don't know if they would have eventually given up.

Others may have more experience.

3. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have a silkie that just would not give up. I tried everything! I was waiting for winter to be over before I let her hatch anything. I started letting her keep the eggs and she instantly gave up. I guess you just never know. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you much.

4. PrincessSweetChick

Nov 10, 2008
    Clarksburg, MD
    Thanks for your messages. I am removing her from the nest-locking her out temporarily. She is waiting at the doorwhen I come to let her back in. I heard someone say lock her in a dark place w/o food and water for a few days. Dunno, it seems a bit cruel.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We use wire bottomed cages, when we need to break our girls out of their broody (we also make sure that they have free choice feed and water).

The wire bottom allows air to hit their butts and they usually come out of the "zone" in a few days. Just make sure that you don't put in any hay or straw as they'll go right back to it.

Here's an older post of mine on Breaking a Broody.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Quote:Please don't lock her up without food or water, she may already be in a compromised state if she has been sitting for 6 weeks. And you are right, it would be cruel and unlikely to produce the behavior you want.

Dawn has some good advice for your situation and it is actually what I did last year....and it worked.

Anne

7. PrincessSweetChick

Nov 10, 2008
    Clarksburg, MD
    [​IMG]

Dear Dawn 419: You are a genius! I set up the wire cage with air beneath it and she was out and around within 2 days. Thanks so much!

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mine quit being broody as soon as I decided I wanted to hatch some eggs under her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by