1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will she expel any "bad" eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Jan 20, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    If an egg is not fertile and not developing, will the chicken sitting on the nest know? Will she get rid of any eggs that are not developing? I have green eggs and cannot see through them and I NEED to know if they are fertile or not.

I'm not using an incubator, just my silkie. She is in DEEP setting mode and seems almost dead, except for the huge poops! I got the eggs from a breeder who said they were definitely fertile. Should I just wait and see what happens? How excrutiating.

2. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Just wait and see what happens. She won't know if the eggs are viable or not. You could put golf balls under a broody and she'd just sit there! Sometimes hens kick eggs out of the nest, but I've never seen any rhyme or reason to it. Some have kicked out eggs with developing chicks in them, so who knows why hens do what they do? If you have a silkie and she is in serious brood mode, just leave her be, she will do a great job. You'll just have to find the patience, and I know that is hard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by