Will she go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbi-j, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have a banty hen who was a great broody last year. I kept her when we culled the other non-laying hens, hoping she'll hatch some babies for me again this year. DH brought up an interesting question that I hadn't thought of before - will she go broody if she's not laying? She hasn't laid all winter, is several years old, so I'm guessing that maybe she's done as a layer. Any thoughts or opinions?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Grim

Grim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    this is just my experience, but it has been that a hen that gets broody once will again if they raise a brood. my best mammas will molt, then start to lay with the other hens, they may lay for a week or 2 then get broody. i try to breed my birds to be broody. i have a high turnover meat/eggs. so i tend to try to select for the trait. broody hens don't make it into the pot and i try to save the eggs from my best broody hens for hatching. you usually don't get many so other eggs make up the difference. i have had old hens that had quit laying and still raised 1 or 2 more broods. sadly they usually died from old age shortly afterward. age gets us all i suppose.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most bantams are far more seasonal layers than production birds. She will lay again in the spring and once again she will go broody.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thanks for the replies, that's good to know! She was such a good mama last year, I'm looking forward to her raising some more babies this year. It was just something I hadn't thought of before...

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many bantams will lay a clutch, set, hatch and rear the chicks and repeat all over again as much as 4+ times/year.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Wow! This one was only broody in the spring, but I left her babies with her to raise. Maybe that's why she didn't do it again. I replaced her eggs with standard-sized eggs. I can't wait to see how things go this spring, but it's still a LONG way off here in MN....

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Many of my bantam hens(Silkies and OEGB) are now broody. Is your bantam hen broody yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by