1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will she keep warm enough on the coop floor??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristen2678, Oct 13, 2009.

1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I have 3 hens, BO, Light Brahma, EE about 18 weeks old. The LB refuses to roost. I've seen her up there once, so I know she can get there, and there is plenty of room, but she rather be on the floor of the coop. She is on a thick layer of shavings. Coop is best described as a large dog house on legs with an attached run. (It's much nicer than that but just for a visual) The windows are caulked, I've weather stripped the nest box. We shut the door as soon as they go in for the night, around 6 lately. It's starting to touch the high 30's during the night here. I'll turn the 100 watt bulb on at night maybe when it gets into the 20's. I'm worried she wont be warm enough by herself. Should I add a low free standing roost so she can get up off the shavings but keep her feet covered? I'm going to add a layer of straw in there for warmth after it starts to frost. What do you think??

2. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    she will be fine actually better than the ones roosting if you take into consideration of her toes being exposed a little on the roost. some chickens just take a while to like roosting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by