will she lay again?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by thepaperrose, May 16, 2011.

1. thepaperrose

thepaperrose New Egg

Sep 1, 2010
    northwest michigan
    I have a pair of hatchery Toulouse picked up from TSC. They are now 2. The female laid about 6 or 8 eggs last year in January. Didn't even realize at the time she was doing this, needless to say that we missed putting any in the incubator. This year, she laid 2 in January, again, we weren't ready. Right now they are mating like crazy! My question is will she lay a few more, or is she done for the year?
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    She should lay more, are you sure she's not? Where are you located?

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Although its getting on in the egg laying season she may lay again and as Shelley said are you sure she's not already and the nest is hidden? Usually my Gander will only mate when the females are receptive and still in breeding condition so there's a good chance [​IMG]

Pete

4. thepaperrose

thepaperrose New Egg

Sep 1, 2010
    northwest michigan
    We're in Northern Michigan. They are in with a muscovy girl that laid up a storm and is now sitting on unfertilized duck eggs. I tried to slip in a few chicken eggs, but they always seem to get broken. I got the muscovy in case Ethel (the female goose) didn't want to set. The nest the muscovy is on is outside in a doghouse, she seems to love it. Ethel has lined the nest with feathers, which made me hopeful, but I even gave her hay in the spot she laid in last year. She shows no interest in it. There is no other nest in their area. I would like to able to let them loose, so she could find her own spot, but we have way too many predators to let her do that. Also, about a month ago, I put a few eggs on the ground in the middle of the pen so I could do something else for a moment, she rolled them under her, sat down, got up, then walked away. She doesn't have any interest in the eggs now either. Should I just give up and hope for next year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by