Will she lay soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GulfBamaChick, Aug 19, 2014.

1. GulfBamaChick

GulfBamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    [​IMG] 22wks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. How old is she?

3. Chickennorman

Chickennorman New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    how old is she

4. Chickennorman

Chickennorman New Egg

Aug 19, 2014

5. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    22 weeks! I know she should be laying about now but there is no egg squat, no eggs, they are not mating with the rooster, nothing /:

6. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    I hear you can tell by their comb

7. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    she's getting close- her face will get redder and her wattles and comb will grow a little more

1 person likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Development f the comb/wattles is one of the clues you can use to assess a bird's closeness to laying, yes - as the bird gets close to the point of lay you will generally see a change in the size, color and texture/appearance of the comb/wattles -- generally speaking, in birds not yet ready to lay these will be small, pale and dry in appearance, in a bird close to or actively laying they are larger, redder and have a shiny/soft/waxy appearance/feel to them. Other clues that are part of the puzzle can be a reddening of the facial skin, the submissive squat (this is a female submitting to a male for mounting, which is part of showing a sexual maturity, ie the readiness to lay),

2 people like this.
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    22 weeks is really on the "this is when you can start to expect to see eggs" end of the spectrum - it isn't so much that they "should be laying" now because they are 22 weeks, but that they "may" be laying by the age of 22 weeks. Your bird looks to be close to beginning her life as a laying hen, so just hang in there and be patient. Most breeds will begin to lay between 22-28 weeks of age, with some breeds (or individual birds within each breed) beginning sooner or later than that.

1 person likes this.
  10. MissMelMc68

MissMelMc68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    Oh my goodness...my hens have been doing the submission squat...I thought they were just too scared to move...maybe it's a little bit of both lol...they are 20 weeks old! <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by