1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will she leave them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrygirl4513, Feb 28, 2008.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Does anyone have experience on blue cochins hatching eggs? Since some of them won't hatch on the same day, will she leave the rest of them once she has a few hatched out? My mom seems to think she will.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't have cochins but the broodies I have had won't get up off the clutch with the first few chicks til they think their hatch is over.....they will sit tight...

3. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

Blondie the Broody had chicks hatching over 4 days, from what we could tell -- and when she left the nest there were still some unhatched eggs .. however I checked them later and there were no pips and no peeping ... several of them "sloshed" -- and the one that was very lightweight -- I opened and found it all dried out inside, only a bit of dried flesh stuck to one side

just to be sure I stuck them under Black Maria who had just gone broody ... but in two days nothing further happened

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Hens can feel the movement in an egg and hear pipping. They rarely leave a viable egg.

Wanted to add that they will abandon chicks they feel are not strong enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by