Will she sit on it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SimplySplendidSilkies, Oct 23, 2010.

1. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I found my first egg today. I wanted my silkie to hatch for themselves. The egg is in the nest and when everyone went to bed tonight it was still there all by itself. I was told on my I found an egg thread" I will have to incubate it if noone is sitting on it. I am confused now! I thought they would lay for a few days then go to sitting on the eggs.
    Do I need to bring this egg inside? I do want chicks if it is in fact fertile. Can't see why it would not be I have 4 roosters in there with 15 hens.
    Will she not lay more and then sit on a few?
    Why is it all alone?
    The temps will be around 50 here tonight the egg is in a coop inside a covered run.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    She has to go broody before she will sit!!

Missi

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They lay one egg at a time until there are 6 or 7 eggs, then if they are going to go broody, they will sit on them.

I like to put 3 golf balls in a nest or two. I gather all the eggs daily and keep out the ones that I want to see hatched.

If a broody starts then I'll take 8 to 12 eggs and set them under her replacing the golf balls. Then wait 21 days.

If a broody doesn't start, I usually sell the hatching eggs. If I don't sell them. They go into the fridge and we sell them for eating or eat them ourselves.

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    That is what I thought.
    Thanks

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I will wait a few days to see if she goes broody. But this is what I was thinking. I went and got the egg and repalced it with a golf ball. I plan on getting up very early tomorrow to see which of my lovely girls is laying. I am tickled I have some lav eggs coming soon and hope the hen and the post work with me here so the silkies can hatch the eggs for me. I do not want to incubate again. I just killed 8 of 16 chicks and am not feeling to confident at the moment.!
    Thanks,
    Tisha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by