Will she sit??

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Bad Wolf, May 25, 2016.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    Hello:) I have 4 peafowl - 1 2yr old male, 1 2yr old female, and 2 1yr old females. I'm assuming the 2yr old female has begun laying eggs - there are 3 eggs and she started laying them on Saturday. She is NOT sitting on them yet and seems to want the younger females to stay in the area with the eggs. Does this mean she is not going to be broody and wants the younger female to sit?? She's been a lot more crabby with the younger peahens too when they are just out and walking around. She also didn't really make a nest she is laying them in an area with very little shavings. Do you think they will break? Should I add shavings to the area?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    The short answer....no way to know for sure. The nest sounds typical for peahens, a shallow depression in the dirt or a cleared spot in the shavings is what they generally do. As for sitting, she will not sit until she finishes laying a clutch, which could be anywhere from 4 to 12 eggs, depends on the hen. I doubt she wants the others to sit for her, but they do often get nasty with other hens or youngsters as she will view them as a possible threat to her eggs/chicks.

3. Bad Wolf

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    Thank you:)

4. Bad Wolf

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    When I got home today, one of the eggs was kicked out of the nest area - about 3 feet off the ground. It wasn't broken so I put it back with the other two. Any thoughts??

5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I have a male who will do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by