Will shipping cause eggs to become more porous?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by southernhusky, Dec 27, 2016.

1. southernhusky

southernhusky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    Title says it all. Just wondering. I think I recall eggs will become more porous with age and seeing as how shipping is usually 1-3 days(or longer with delays). I know some can be pretty porous to begin with but in general.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That’s a question I’ve never heard. Good.

I don’t see how an eggshell porosity would change in the few days of shipping. The shell is made mostly of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate will dissolve in acid, but where is the acid coming from?

Hens that hide nests lay an egg a day until they go broody and quit laying. It’s often two weeks between the first one being laid until incubation starts. Most of these hatch. If something within the egg was causing the egg shell to dissolve, thus increasing porosity, this would not be the case.

Anything is possible but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily realistic. If you wrap the eggs in something sufficiently acidic (corrosive) for shipping it’s possible, but that is extremely unlikely. I’m not even sure what that could possibly be that a rational person would use.

If the eggs you are receiving through shipping are extra porous, they were almost certainly that porous when they were laid. You can have other problem with shipped eggs, but I really doubt excess porosity would be one of them.

3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    When my hens lay their eggs, many of them are not porous at all, but after sitting outside/inside without refrigeration, they begin getting more porous each day fro around 5 days unless they are thick shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by