Will silkies roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanyyChicken, Sep 22, 2011.

1. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    This weekend I picked up a white silkie. I'm quessing she's about 10 to 12 weeks old. Right now she is in a dog crate with another black silkie mix until quarantine is over. Eventually they will be introduced to a mixed flock of 6 hens and 1 rooster after I grow them out some.
    My question is do you think she will be able to roost up above with the rest of the flock? Those of you with silkies within a mixed flock how many of them roost up above with the others vs staying on the floor in the shavings down below alone. I'm concerned about the body warmth in the New England winters. I wasn't aware till I came across an older thread on here that often times they won't roost.
    The roost all have a ramp leading up as well as a poop board with shaving underneath.
    [​IMG]

2. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    I've heard alot of people saying that their siklies don't roost. I have only one silkie, and he sometimes roosts, because nobody else likes to sleep on the floor, and he doesn't like to be without his ladies [​IMG]. But the most time he sleeps on the nesting boxes with a few of hens, which is up off the floor.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 2 silkies and mine roost with everyone else. I have a ladder type roost which makes it easy for them to get up there.

4. DanyyChicken

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Thanks all...
    I am hopeful that my one silkie will take to roosting with the others up on the roosts. Otherwise she'll end up lone and cold on the coop floor all by herself. I certainly hope she doesn't sleep in the nest boxes as I like to keep those clean no one has pooped in them yet. I'll kept you posted in about a months time after quaratine is over and I attempt to integrate them into the flock.
    Thanks...[​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My hatchery silkies (the first I got) roost with everyone else, mainly because when I was teaching them to roost I didn't differentiate between silkies and other breeds. They will hop up the ladder with everyone else and hunker down. Truthfully they generally have the best roost spots too. [​IMG]

My show line all sleep piled up on the floor except for a few adventurous souls that will roost on the edge of the milk crates in there. With that lot I think it is because they can't see to go up the ladder. [​IMG]

6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    My Silkies roost with my other mixed hens and they all get along quite well.

7. DanyyChicken

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Hooray... I'm glad to from you all that there is hope. I was almost having a little buyers remorse once I had read elsewhere that they have difficulty roosting. I didn't want to have a lonely unhappy bird.[​IMG]

8. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    My silkie used to roost in the HIGHEST spot. Then her poof is now big enough it is harder for her to see...so now she roosts every night on the low roost we have. I am planning on trimming her "poof" so she can see again. She prefers to be up high w/ the big gals when she can actually see. haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by