Will Silky Chickens adopt other chicks?

Noelani

Chirping
Jan 28, 2018
Hawaii
We have some feral chicks but feel we need a mother hen for them to stay out in the yard. We fear to put any of our other hens with the chicks in case they don't accept the chicks, and I wouldn't know which hen to choose either. I've heard that Silkies are the more nurturing type of chickens - even the Rooster could be nurturing- that is something I've read anyway. Is this true? Could I get a silky hen and hope she would adopt the feral chicks? Would the feral chicks become domesticated with a domestic hen? So many questions! If anyone has any answers, that would be wonderful.

Feral chicks does not automatically mean that they will turn out/grow up ( wild in behavioral nature). They may just grow in your coop and act like your other chickens. Take into consideration that different chicken breeds act differently, without being feral. Some are flighty, as some are dominating and somewhat aggressive to other chickens, and many other types/kinds.
Silkie chickens are excellent moms, although I am not sure how they or any other hens would react to already partially grown chicks.
You don't try to place/sneak your incubator hatched chicks under any hen unless they are broody.
I personally would just let the chicks grow out on their own, with them being isolated by a chicken wire barrier. Chickens see chicks------ chicks see chickens, but no danger of attack. This way the resident chickens get used to the chicks. When the chicks grow sufficiently, the integration will be much easier to accomplish.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Broody silkie hens accept different breeds as long as they're less than a few days old. I've even had luck with Polish adopting chicks. BUT if the chicks are older than a week, your best bet would be to temporarily keep the babies separate until everyone accepts each other. Once they are part of the flock everyone will be happy.

And be cautious with roosters! Just cause the rooster is friendly with you doesn't mean it will be with the babies if one is a little roo. Roosters don't like competition for ladies and will thin out other males. I had to learn this the hard way and now all babies go into the brooder, grow out pen, then with the flock. No exceptions.

Thank you all so much. I don't want a disaster on my hands and lose these chicks.

I will make a place for the chicks to see the other chickens, so they all can get used to each other. Right now I have 2 pens that are separated by a 2-foot tall wood barrier. There is a perch the chicks could use to see over the wood into the bigger pen. Would this be enough or would it be better to have just wire between the two pens as if they were all together but separate?

Another question, what is a good age to allow the new chicks in with my mature flock?

Thank you all so much. I don't want a disaster on my hands and lose these chicks.

I will make a place for the chicks to see the other chickens, so they all can get used to each other. Right now I have 2 pens that are separated by a 2-foot tall wood barrier. There is a perch the chicks could use to see over the wood into the bigger pen. Would this be enough or would it be better to have just wire between the two pens as if they were all together but separate?

Another question, what is a good age to allow the new chicks in with my mature flock?
The more they see each other the better. As long as they can't get to one another. They may pick at each other through the wire, but it's all normal chicken behavior. Trying to figure out who is top chicken or whatnot.
I usually eyeball their size and base my decision on that. You want them to have all their feathers in and be able to defend themselves. Similar size to these in the pic.

IMG_2909.jpg

This was very helpful. Being so new to chickens and getting an established flock first, then a mom and chicks, then more chicks, I was at a loss as to when and how to introduce them all.
You'll get there! No matter how much you learn they'll still throw curve balls at you from time to time. The biggest thing is remembering that chickens aren't nice. They never will be. Just have to keep them from crossing the line and killing one another (which is rare). I even made a little chicken jail for ones that can't get along with the flock and issue timeouts. Sounds crazy but it helps a lot with aggressive chickens.

"Silkie_Mom, said You'll get there! No matter how much you learn they'll still throw curve balls at you from time to time. The biggest thing is remembering that chickens aren't nice.:hit:hit:hit They never will be. Just have to keep them from crossing the line road and killing one another (which is rare). I even made a little chicken jail for ones that can't get along with the flock and issue timeouts. Sounds crazy but it helps a lot with aggressive chickens

We have a difference of opinions,,,:idunno:old
My Harrietta:love
FB_IMG_1530847814048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom