Will smoke hurt my chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cookinmom, Apr 18, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Hi All. You may have heard about this gi-normous wildfire blazing away down here. We are probably a good 45 or 50 miles from it, but the smoke is really thick. Ash is all over our trucks. I've heard chickens have sensitive respiratory systems. Should I keep them in the coop today or go ahead and let them out?

They're inside now, but the temp is only in the 60s now. It will be in the mid 80s by afternoon, upwards of 90 inside their coop, so I don't really want to make them stay in all day.

2. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Can you get a fan of some sort in thier coup. I realy don't think smoke would be good for them.

3. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Well, looks like it's a moot point now. The chickens are out in their yard. my husband said smoke would come in through the ventilation anyway, so he let them out. It's not real thick, just making everything kind of hazy. They appear to be fine.
    Just me being an overprotective mommy I guess :aww

4. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    The smoke won't be good for them, but I think your husband is right to say that it will just get into the coop no matter what.

You might want to put out extra water to help them cope with the irritation that the smoke will cause. Other healthy things like garlic, etc, wouldn't hurt. I will probably have to deal with this same problem in July and August when this part of Montana is on fire, as it always is, so let me know if you have any good ideas after the fact!

-MTchick

5. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Well, it didn't seem to hurt 'em. They did seem to drink more water than usual though. Everyone appears to be fine!

The winds have lessened and changed direction midafternoon, so it cleared up pretty much. I'm so glad! Fires freak me out!

They did evacuate 300 people from our area for a new fire this evening, but they have that one contained now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by