Will solar lights around my coop help deter predators?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken_china_mom, May 16, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    They have those little individual solar lights right now for $4 a piece at WalMart and I was thinking about getting some and putting them around my coop so that my birds will have a little light at night, but I was also wondering, will lighting like that deter any predators? Or has anyone used those Night Guards? (www.nightguard.com) Thanks for any input on this.

2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Not sure but I got a few around my duck lot.

3. greenguys

greenguys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    i followed that link you posted.

do your chickens have problems grinding their teeth at night? wait....what teeth? ROFL

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] hhaaaa [​IMG]

5. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    I think you meant www.niteguard.com. I'm going to order a few because my chickens have become an all you can eat smorgasbord for every hawk, owl, and raccoon in the county. Karla It can't be any worse than what I have now.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Predators are not the least bit squeemish about light. The only bennefit I can see is that your chickens will be able to see them a little. The fact that chickens don`t see well in the dark is what makes them so vulnerable. Raptors are a different story........Pop

7. Windwhistlefarm

Windwhistlefarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Modoc Indiana
    I used christmas lights, twinkle then non twinkle. Used it AFTER the massive attack. Have stopped using them-no attacks-but did they work or not-made me feel better!

8. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That might work but who knows there really messed up.

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I like solar lights for ME to see in the dark. I don't think that I'd be comfortable using them to deter predators.

My (temporary) coop has:
    --buried hardware cloth
    --light from the barn (35 feet to the rear)
    --horses penned in to the north and west (Coyotes, at least DON'T mess with them!)
    --my two dogs' "mess" and scent ALL around and all over the place
    --my dogs in the house with their ears wired to the outside, and ready to bark at every noise!! I let them out to check on things, too
    --my dog, Rose, OBSESSED with the birds and a n y t h i n g e l s e
    that is interesed in them!

Before my vacation next month, I'm going to run hardware cloth up the sides to defeat any raccoons. FORTUNATELY, no bear still live in the wilds of Illinois!!!!!!

BTW, the chickens are Rose's favorite show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by