will someone please tell me what lock down is ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by medan, May 11, 2010.

1. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I have hatched many settings of eggs with real good sucess and i dont lock down a thing as a matter of fact i check and adjust humidity by adding water i candle and check for fertility and development and i remove all dry chicks as soon as they are dry it does not seem to affect a thing If you think about it a mother chicken has to get up and turn the eggs a few times a day I dont think chicken hens know about lock down

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Lock down is the day that you stop turning the eggs, up the humidity, and don't open the incubator until all of the chicks are hatched and dried off. [​IMG] Chicken lock down is when the hen stops getting off of her clutch, stops turning her eggs, and doesn't get up until they are all hatched that are going to hatch.

3. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I had one egg hatch in the turner the 19 day then 8 hatch late yesterday day 20 and 19 are working holes today day 21 and I think the hens set the eggs for the last few days because of the chick posistioning and they peep could be to hide that from preditors cause really i always take out the roudy dry chicks from the bator

Last edited: May 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by