Will Squirrels Bother Hen?

HannahL

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi all. I have a single Buff Brahma hen. Unfortunately, her sister recently died so she is alone right now. We will be moving out some new chicks to be with her soon. However, I have been sprinkling some mealworms, sunflower seeds, etc. around for her in her pen. There are at least 3-4 gray squirrels that have been going into the pen to steal the seeds. Will they bother my hen? I would hate for her to get injured or sick from the squirrels.

It is possible, the squirrel may get a little protective of the seeds but I don't think it would physically harm the chicken, but rodents do carry many diseases I would be a little worried about that. I'd say if you are going to throw the seeds and mealworms, throw them somewhere where the squirrels can't get to.

No they shouldn’t hurt her I’ve never heard of any diseases or viruses transferring from squirrels to chickens. My hens do fine with the squirrels they don’t even notice them.

I think she'll be fine. As long as she isn't bothering them, they won't bother her. Keep an eye on her just in case.

Back
Top Bottom