Will supplemental light affect our new arrivals?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Susan49, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Susan49

Susan49 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    We've been using extra light in our coop this winter to give our hens about a 14 hour day. It's worked great, lots of eggs still, and we use a timer so we don't have to get up at 3:00 a.m.!

We're going to be adding to our flock soon, and I'm wondering how our lighting scheme might affect the new arrivals. The last two times we added to our flock it was in the summer when there was only natural lighting. Everything went smoothly and the new girls settled into their new routine in just a couple of days.

I've asked the farm we're buying these new pullets from how much light they're getting currently, and I wonder if they're not on supplemental light, might they be stressed or experience problems adjusting to our lighting schedule?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

They'll be fine!

3. Susan49

Susan49 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Oh good, glad to hear! I figured they're such resilient creatures they'd be fine, but I'd hate to inadvertently do anything that would stress them out. Being a good chicken mama is almost as stressful as being a good mama to "real" babies!

4. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    I have a timer on a light in their coop. It comes on about 7:00 am and shuts off about 6:00 pm. They seem happy and laying but I am noticing loss of feathers.

5. We've done it several times, and I think although you may have some that insist on getting up an hour late or going to bed early for a while, they should adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by